Re: protected ON DELETE CASCADE

From: Murray Hobbs <murray(at)efone(dot)com>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: protected ON DELETE CASCADE
Date: 2001-08-23 19:06:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

i neglected to show it properly

have tables A, B, C, D PLUS a few others

A <- B

A <- C <- D
^

i want to delete from C and cascade any delete to E or F but not if
there are records in D

what i have done is to have ON DELETE CASCADE on C's primary

but force deletes to C through a function that will delete from C only
if there is no records in D

but i would like to believe there is a better way - a way that does not
require that i do all my deletes through a function

cheers

murray