Re: Re: Couple of patches for jdbc driver

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: Couple of patches for jdbc driver
Date: 2001-08-22 17:27:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I agree with Bruce. I think we are in good shape for 7.2. As long as
there is an active developer community working on maintaining and
upgrading the code base there shouldn't be problems.

Once we get the jdbc.postgresql.org website updated then there can be an
official place to post patches/updated drivers on a more frequent
schedule than the server patch releases if necessary.

Although realistically the same level of control/caution should be used
in accepting patches into the current release as there is being used for
the rest of the product (i.e. it needs to be a high priority bug and a
low risk fix to risk destabilizing a production set of code). Even in
7.1 there were some jdbc fixes that made it into 7.1.2, and quite
frankly I haven't seen anything since 7.1.2 that I would have considered
a candidate for patching into 7.1.3 based on the criteria I feel should
be applied. The 7.1.2 driver is IMHO high quality, and I use it in
production environments.

Part of the problem I see is a too frequent habit of telling users on
this list who are having problems simply to get the latest code from the
truck. We should instead be telling them to get the latest released
code ie. 7.1.2 or 7.1.3.

thanks,
--Barry