Re: user authentication crash

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erik Luke <eluke(at)cs(dot)montana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: user authentication crash
Date: 2001-08-20 14:34:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Erik,

Three questions :

a) Did the database pass the regression test after you compiled it?

b) Are the PostgreSQL specific environment variables "correct"? i.e.
PGDATA, PGUSER, etc?

c) Would you consider upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.1.3? What you describe
may be a bug (or combination thereof) in the older 7.1 version.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Erik Luke wrote:

> Operating system: SuSE 7.2 Professional with postgres v7.1 installed
> manually.
> (I prefer to manually set up software)
> Directory: /postgres
> Data Directory: /var/lib/pgsql/data
> Server startup line: postmaster -i -D /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile.txt &
> Port: 9427
> System: AMD Athalon 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, D-Link network card
>
> Upon trying to connect to the postgres backend by psql (with password
> authentication enabled), postgres crashes saying "FATAL 1: Bad abstime
> external representation ' '". I have also gotten '@!' and '/g!' in addition
> to the ' '. The Postgres backend then terminates abnormally.
>
> The '' was reported at debug_level 0, the '@!' was reported at debug_level
> 5, and the '/g!' was reported at debug_level 9. The psql string used to
> connect was simply psql (database name). Adding additional paramaters, such
> as -U have resulted in the same problem. When trying to channel the info
> into a logfile, I did not have any luck, as the output file was empty.
> Installation instructions were followed exactly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Erik Luke
> eluke(at)cs(dot)montana(dot)edu

- Indira Gandhi