Unable to connect to database

From: Peter Rogers <peterarogers(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to connect to database
Date: 2001-08-17 20:26:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Please have mercy on this poor beginner!

I am totally new to both postgresql and jdbc, so I'm probably committing
some very basic error, but I am unable to make a connection to my
database via jdbc. I am using postgresql 7.1.2 which seems to be
running OK (under Suse Linux 7.1); at least I can run the sample
interactive scripts with pqsl. I built and installed jdbc according to
the instructions in the readme file, and I am using Java 1.3. I used
"createdb" to create my own database "petesdb" with username "progers".
However, when I run the small piece of code below, the driver gets
registered, but getConnection fails with a segmentation fault.

import java.sql.*;
import java.lang.reflect.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class TestDb
{

public static void main(String args[])
{
Connection db; // The connection to the database
Statement st; // Our statement to run queries with

try
{
// This line outputs debug information to stderr
DriverManager.setLogStream(System.err);

Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
System.out.println("Db driver OK");

// Connect to database
String url = "jdbc:postgresql:petesdb";
String usr = "progers";
String pwd = "petesdb_pwd";
System.out.println("Connecting to Database URL = " + url);
db = DriverManager.getConnection(url, usr, pwd);
System.out.println("Db connection OK");

}
catch(Exception e)
{
// your error handling code goes here
System.out.println("Hey! no db driver or no db connection");
}
}
}

The console output is as follows:

DriverManager.initialize: jdbc.drivers = null
JDBC DriverManager initialized
registerDriver:
driver[className=org.postgresql.Driver,org(dot)postgresql(dot)Driver(at)4b222f]
Db driver OK
Connecting to Database URL = jdbc:postgresql:petesdb
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:petesdb")
trying
driver[className=org.postgresql.Driver,org(dot)postgresql(dot)Driver(at)4b222f]
Segmentation fault

My thanks for any help anyone can offer.

--Pete Rogers