Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

From: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: PGSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function
Date: 2008-08-28 22:32:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Matthew Dennis wrote:
> I have no doubt that someone would complain about it, but I think
> it's better than the alternative.

Determining if changing any function will cause an index to break is
not a straight-forward problem. I don't believe that PG right now
keeps a graph of which functions call which, so replacing a function
deep in the logical calling hierarchy could break the index as easily
as one mentioned at the top.