serious problem with Access ODBC connections and user accounts

From: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: serious problem with Access ODBC connections and user accounts
Date: 2001-07-19 11:29:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

we have a serious problem with connecting to Postgres from Access.
We need to log user access to tables using triggers.
When linking PG tables into the Access frontend with ODBC, Access stores
user name and password for each table link.
Even worse: There will be a database connection for each linked table.

We have two choices:

1. create a postgres user for each frontend user
2. let all frontend (instances) connect with the same user account

Problem of 1.:

Since the user names and passwords are stored for each linked table, we
cannot get a connection with the current Access user's name and pwd. We
would have to make new links for all tables each time another user
starts the application.

Problem of 2.:

We would do the following to get the Access user's name into our
triggers:

- On application startup some code calls our function "myLogin",
which receives the user name, creates a temporary table
(which is different for each connection), and inserts the
user name into this table.

- Our triggers would lookup the user name from the temporary table.

This approach seems to be very useful, but there is one drawback:

Access makes a new connection for each table that is opened.
So the temporary table created by the myLogin function would
be visible only within one connection.

What can we do? We believe that these problems must exist in
every project which uses PG on Linux and Access on NT as a frontend.
There must be a solution. Please help.

Thank you,

Markus