Silly newbie questions

From: jim davis <jdavis(at)amphi(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Silly newbie questions
Date: 2001-07-13 15:44:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
Ok, I was directed that I would be taking over an old mac based database
and was told that we would be moving to a SQL based DB.  I looked into
MySQL (sorry, I know thats a bad word around these parts :) )and sorta
got into it.  Well, I saw the light and have decided to move to
PstgreSQL.  I have downloaded and installed on my SuSE linux server the
latest version (7.1.2) and got it to work... But I have noticed some
differences (duh) that I can't find answers for in the online docs.
In the command line interface in MySQL, if I wanted to see all the
databases on my server, or if I wanted to see all the tables in a given
database, I would type "show databases" or "show tables"  but that
doesnt seem to work in PostgreSQL...

Also, is there a painless way to get all of my MySQL databases and data
moved over to PostgreSQL?

thanks!
-Jim