Re: Libpq.dll on MinGW, was Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU

From: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Jorgensen <jorgens(at)coho(dot)net>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq.dll on MinGW, was Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU
Date: 2001-07-12 09:45:37
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Jason,

> I actually read that email, but was on vacation at the time, so it went
> right out of my mind -- those pesky holidays and vacations getting in
> the way yet again! :,)

I'm heading for four weeks holiday in 8 days, so I'm quite busy with paid work
+ preparing things ...

> Would you be willing to take this to the next level? First, you would
> need to make a new Mingw Makefile (src/makefiles/Makefile.mingw) and port
> header file template (src/include/port/mingw.h). Then, diddle with the
> autoconf stuff to select these new templates. Finally, you would need
> to convince make to just build the Mingw build-able stuff.

Brrr. I hate platform specific Makefiles. Once somebody changes the master
Makefile you have to port every change yourself. (As happened e.g. with glib!)
Usually I prefer either short build scrips (calling make, patch, install etc.)
or plain autoconf/automake. But if it's usual within Pgsql, it will be the way
to go.

Perhaps later (September). I meant my mail as a 'It's possible, I made it this
way' message.

> BTW, when reviewing your patch, I noticed a hunk against config.h. Did
> you configure under Cygwin first and then make your changes? If not,
> how was config.h generated?

Oh, I knew. I simply didn't go that far.

Since I'm maintainer of some other OSS projects I don't have too much free
time, perhaps someone else wants to step in the gap?

Christof

PS: The port was done on a MinGW cross compiler on an iBook (debian PPC).
PPS: I took cygwin out of the CC list since it get's more internal to pgsql.