Re: Shutdown hook imp

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shutdown hook imp
Date: 2001-07-10 18:07:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-patches

I don't think this patch is a good idea because:

a) its only purpose is to supress warning messages in the server log
when the client isn't coded properly (i.e. the client application should
be closing connections gracefully/explicitly before calling exit()).

b) The costs of this patch are great IMHO:
1) increased complexity by having a JDK1.3 specific build
2) increased support costs (why I am getting error XXX when I run
under JRUN?) (I have already seen more emails to the list about having
problems with this feature than I have ever saw about the warning
messages it supresses).
3) Increased complexity for users needing to run under JRUN (and
possibly other JSEE servers) because it requires editing the security
manager settings to allow the JDBC driver to do this privileged operation.
4) Possibly incourages a security hole if the user does 3 above
incorrectly and simply disables the security check, instead of
selectively disabling it for just the JDBC driver.

I see the costs far outweighing the benefits in this case.

thanks,
--Barry