Re: Patch to remove connection hook and JDK 1.3 dependencies

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to remove connection hook and JDK 1.3 dependencies
Date: 2001-07-09 18:14:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-patches

I'm using the 7.1.2 driver.

BTW having to add a line to your permission file for shutdown hooks is
not a good reason to get rid of this feature. It most cases it would be
extremely unlikely for an attacker to get a chance to add a shutdown
hook to your jvm and if they do they've probably already got the means
to do Bad Things. The java.policy file can have an entry to allow only
code in org.postgres to add shutdown hooks (maybe we should put this in
the documentation).

The only case where it might matter is if you are trying to access
postgres directly from an applet and you can't finely control the
permissions of the applet sandbox.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks(at)selectacast(dot)net