Re: Getting info on "Max LongVarChar" under ODBC

From: markMLl(dot)pgsql-interfaces(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting info on "Max LongVarChar" under ODBC
Date: 2001-07-09 11:35:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> You seem to be able to call SQLGetTypeInfo() though
> I'm not sure.

Many thanks, I obviously need to work out on ODBC programming :-) At
present I'm doing a temporary job by querying the parameter from the
registry- but that will obviously fail if I need to look at an
alternative database.

However, I've now found that even if I change the Max LongVarChar
parameter from its default 8190 to (say) 16382 an attempt to save more
than 8K text still gets truncated. I can work around this for the time
being but would appreciate it if anybody could tell me whether there are
still any outstatding issues.

Hope this isn't an FAQ but I've not found it yet.

Running 7.1.2, I've got a table which amongst other things has a field
declared as TEXT into which I'm saving a script for interpretation on
the client system. On the ODBC driver settings I've got "Unknown Sizes"
as "Longest", "Text as LongVarChar" enabled, and "Max LongVarChar" set
to 16382. I've rebooted after changing the parameters in case they were
only read when the driver was loaded. Client OS is NTW4SP3, ODBC driver
Insight 7.01.0005.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]