Re: [OT] Any major users of postgresql?

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] Any major users of postgresql?
Date: 2001-07-05 07:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joe Brenner wrote:

> Sorry to bug the list with something a bit off topic, but
> I've been scrounging around for some examples of someone
> doing some fairly serious work with postgresql, and haven't
> yet been able to turn any up.  Someone here must know a few
> off the top of their head...

It probably depends on what you call "serious". Anyway, the project I am
working on is a online community for alternate investments and is built
around a PostgreSQL (first 7.0, now 7.1) database: it's
<> but unfortunately most of it is limited
only to subscribers so there is not a lot db-related to see. It's
PostreSQL + Apache + mod_perl on Digital Unix.

Another site is <>, an Italian web site about
pet news and tips made by some friends of mine. It runs on a custom
content management system, again on the PostgreSQL + Apache + mod_perl
combination on Red Hat Linux. Being sponsored by a major portal, a lot
of hits are expected, but the site is brand new so no data is available

Apart from the obvious wins of data integrity, transactions, etc. both
sites benefit from a number of SQL functions like triggers, foreign keys
with cascade behaviour, custom functions, and especially views, that
were simply not available under MySql. From all these, I would pick
views: I simply cannot see how you can arrange a coherent db design
(especially for a web project) without using views.

Hope it helps.

Alessio F. Bragadini		alessio(at)albourne(dot)com
APL Financial Services
Nicosia, Cyprus		 	phone: +357-2-755750

"It is more complicated than you think"
		-- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925