Re: New data type: uniqueidentifier

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Dmitry G(dot) Mastrukov" <dmitry(at)taurussoft(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New data type: uniqueidentifier
Date: 2001-07-02 16:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Dmitry G. Mastrukov writes:
>
>>I've developed new data type for PostgreSQL - unique identifier - 128-bit
>>value claims to be unique across Universe. It depends on libuuid from
>>e2fsprogs by Theodore Ts'o.
>>

>ISTM that this should be a function, not a data type.

I'd second the function idea: function uuid( ) returns an int8 value;
don't create a bazillion datatypes.  Besides, 128 bit numbers are 7 byte
integers.   PostgreSQL has an int8 (8 byte integer) datatype.  While I
like the UUID function idea, I'd recommend a better solution to creating
an "unique" identifier.  Why not create a serial8 datatype: int8 with an
int8 sequence = 256bit "unique" number.  {Yes, I know I'm violating my
first sentence.}  Then, you'd have the same thing (or better) AND your
not relying on randomness.