Upgrade 7.4.1 to 7.4.3 not working

From: Mark Lubratt <mark(dot)lubratt(at)indeq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade 7.4.1 to 7.4.3 not working
Date: 2004-06-26 18:11:22
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hello!

I just upgraded from 7.4.1 to 7.4.3 last night on a Windows 2000 Server
machine.  Now, I can't get postgresql to work.  I had a working
implementation on version 7.4.1; complete with automatic services.  So,
I know the postgres user is setup properly (all the permissions, logon
as service, etc.).

I uninstalled all the services (postmaster, ipc-daemon2,
pg_autovacuum), and started installing all the new services.  I have
followed the recent postings from Frank Seesink and Patrick Erley.
I've also checked all the permission settings that are frequently
mentioned by Jason Tishler.  I've also created the new data directory
at /var/postgresql/data (I've done a pg_dumpall and plan to do the
restore).  I've also added CYGWIN=server to the global environment
variables and rebooted (I even saw a post mentioning CYGSERVER=server,
so I added that as well).

When I run cygserver-config, I do get one error message stating:

touch: creating '/var/log/cygserver.log': Permission denied

However, I check all the permissions for /var and /var/log and they are
all world writeable from within cygwin and the corresponding
directories from the W2000 Server explorer grant full write permission
to everyone.  Also, despite the error message, cygserver.log is created
in the /var/log directory.  So, I plow forward and create the
postmaster service and then try to start it.  It fails.

/var/log/postmaster.log reads:

FATAL:  shmat(id=0) failed: Bad file descriptor
LOG:  shmctl(0,4096,0) failed: Invalid argument

If I look at the Error in the Event viewer under the application log,
it says:

PID 2732: starting service 'postmaster' failed: execv: 1, Operation not
permitted.

I'm almost at my wit's end.  Can someone point out the error of my ways?

Thanks!
Mark

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: Kevin MarthDate: 2004-06-27 05:13:53