Re: Speed...

From: "Svenne Krap" <svenne(at)krap(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed...
Date: 2001-06-23 17:04:22
Lists: pgsql-general

To: tmickol(at)combimatrix(dot)com
Copies to: svenne(at)krap(dot)dk, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Speed...
Date sent: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:56:03 -0400
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>

> "Tim Mickol" <tmickol(at)combimatrix(dot)com> writes:
> > some quick (and I might add disappointing) benchmark results...
>
> As has been pointed out before, you must use a pgbench scale factor
> higher than one if you are interested in making meaningful measurements
> for more than one concurrent client. At scale one, there is only one
> "branch", so *every* transaction needs to update the same branch
> balance, so there's effectively no concurrency.
>
> regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

I must admit, that I somewhat hoped you and/or Bruce would "jump
in" with your knowledge.

How high shall the scaling factor be (or in other words, what
pgbench-parameters would you prefer for our little tuning session),
and what would you think is "target" to tune upto (using pgbench
with your parameters) for a box like mine (Duron 750, 512Megs of
memory, Normal IDE-disks) ?

Others may give their advice too :)

TIA

Svenne