Re: Re: Improving pg_hba.conf

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Improving pg_hba.conf
Date: 2001-06-13 17:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> mlw writes:
>
> > Why doesn't postgres put the contents pg_hba.conf in a table? That way it comes
> > for free when you reinitialize and restore a database?
>
> Because if you hosed that table you would have hosed your entire
> installation.

You could use a bki script to fix the problem in stand alone mode if need be. I
don't think breaking this table is really an issue. My only concerns would be the
chicken vs egg problem connecting to the system, and security. Assuming these issues
could be resolved, I think having this info in a table would be beneficial for
maintenance.