Re: GiST index on data types that require compression

From: Dave Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)stack(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST index on data types that require compression
Date: 2001-05-25 19:00:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I took your (Tom, Oleg, and Teodor's) advice and changed my GiST code so
it compresses a normal GEOMETRY into a BOX3D-only-GEOMETRY by striping
out the actual geometric information. This way, everything is
consistent.

I now appear to be able to create and use a GiST index (well, it works
on my 1 test case ;^) ).

Unfortunately, when I issue the CREATE INDEX command, it takes a really
long time. The system goes to about 80% iowait (according to top), or
mostly idle. There's lots of memory free. Any ideas why?

dave