C compiler cannot create executables

From: Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: C compiler cannot create executables
Date: 2001-05-07 20:36:19
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello PostgreSQL,
I tried installing PostgreSQL following the instructions in the
FAQ_MSWIN then INSTALL files. ./configure produced:

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables

All the downloads were made over the last 2 days so are the latest
versions with PostgreSQL being 7.1.1.

The site http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/ no longer has downloads of
utilities so I did not install anything from there.

The FAQ_MSWIN does not say you have to start cygwin and run the INSTALL
instructions in a cygwin window instead of a normal command line window
so that is one minor addition you could make in FAQ_MSWIN.

After I tried ./configure. I tried gmake and gmake was not found. I did
a search for gmake and the closest I could find was gm in cygwin. There
were no error messages during the cygwin install so I assume that is
100% ok.

What would cause the configure error message?

Where is gmake?

Peter