Re: SAPDB Open Souce

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAPDB Open Souce
Date: 2001-04-29 07:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I downloaded it.  The directories are two characters in length, the
> files are numbers, and it is a mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need
> I say more.  :-)

OK, I'll bite: you need to say more.

What is it like at handling transactions?  What sort of full-text indexing does it
have?  Can I have transactions within transactions?  What sort of tools are
available for managing database extents?  How compliant is it with the various SQL
standards?  How does performance compare with PostgreSQL and others?  Does it have
an extensible type system?  Does it have an 'internal' language to compare with
PL/SQL or PL/PGSQL?  How well does it scale on SMP systems?  Can I perform a single
query across multiple databases?  What performance monitoring tools does it come
with?

Hell, in a statement like that you don't even indicate if those directories are
so-named within the source code, or in an installed data environment.  Whichever
environment they do apply to, however, I'm sure there are good systems in place for
dealing with them.  And of course C++, Python and Pascal are all languages with
plenty of proponents, so there's no problem with those.

Your statement is so light on utility that it persuades me to download it for myself
and try it - but that is presumably exactly the effect you were after, wasn't it?

Regards,
					Andrew.
           Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64(21)635-694, Fax: +64(4)499-5596, Office: +64(4)499-2267xtn709