Re: case insensitive database ?

From: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: Thorsten Mauch <mauch(at)imkenberg(dot)de>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: case insensitive database ?
Date: 2001-04-24 22:26:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thorsten Mauch wrote:

> Hi
> Is it possible to setup a database that is case insensitive ?
I don't think you can compile with an case-insensitive flag - AFAIK. But
the workaround is to user the upper() function: SELECT * FROM MyTable
where upper(MyField) = 'UpperCaseString';

In your application that you connect to Postgres, you convert your
string to an upper case string.

> is it also possible with a multbyte database ?
It shouldn't make any difference.

Poul L. Christiansen