Re: A proposal to change psqlodbc

From: "Andrea Aime" <aaime(at)comune(dot)modena(dot)it>
To: Postgres ODBC <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A proposal to change psqlodbc
Date: 2001-04-24 06:34:40
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > > If there's no objection, I would change the current
> > > source in a week or so.
> >
> > This seems like something to do during 7.2 development, not as part
> > of post-7.1 bug fixing.
> >

> I can wait to commit it if the 7.2 branch is near
> but have a basic question.
>
> What does 7.2 development mean for clients(psqlodbc) ?
> Certainly 7.2 would require some changes on clients
> and I would request some features for psqlodbc.
> But most changes in client libraries are/have been
> independent from servers' changes. Strong binding to
> servers' implementation is one of the most abominable
> thing for clients. Psqlodbc driver has kept backward
> compatibility and we have always been able to replace
> the old driver by the latest one. As long as psqlodbc
> doesn't intend a big change(e.g. ODBC level 3 support)
> of its own, it doesn't seems to need the branch.

I see you speak about ODBC level 3 support... does everybody
know that a project named psqlodbc++ has started at
http://www.greatbridge.org/project/psqlodbcplus
in order to provide ODBC level 3 support? The author started
from psqlodbc source and has already done some modification,
as well as a full installer for ODBC driver...
Well, just an information to avoid duplicating efforts :-)
Andrea Aime