another possible ODBC error (inserting memo fields in varchar)

From: Calvin Dodge <cgd(at)linkoweb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: another possible ODBC error (inserting memo fields in varchar)
Date: 2001-04-16 20:37:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I've run across a consistent problem with M$oft Access, psqlodbc.dll,
and Postgres.

If I try to do an insert query from an Access table to a Postgres table,
Access 97 crashes IF that insert includes any memo fields (appending to
a varchar field, in my case). Access 2000 doesn't crash, but it doesn't
append anything, either.

For the record, I'm using PostgreSQL 7.1 on Red Hat 7.0 (using the RPMs
from Sourceforge's PostgreSQL mirror), and the latest version of
psqlodbc (004).  But the same problem occurred with PostgreSQL 7.0, and
with earlier version of psqlodbc.

I CAN work around this by inserting everything EXCEPT for the memo
fields, then updating the destination fields using code (ODBC workspace
and ODBC connection's Execute method), but it does concern me a bit.

Am I doing something wrong here? I wonder because I haven't seen this
problem mentioned in my Google and Postgresql.org searches. Or is this
so well-known that everyone already knows the workaround, so it's not
considered newsworthy? Is this a general issue with Access and ODBC,
rather than specifically with psqlodbc?  Inquiring minds like mine want
to know.

Thanks for listening,

Calvin Dodge
caldodge(at)fpcc(dot)net (writing from work)

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Calvin DodgeDate: 2001-04-16 20:39:12