Re: [GENERAL] Re: ongoing holy grail thread

From: Justin Clift <jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tony Grant <tony(at)animaproductions(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: ongoing holy grail thread
Date: 2001-04-12 12:40:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Hi Tony,

<snip>
> Todays questions:
>
> - what should I be looking for to see if the Tomcat application
> server is correctly loading the jdbc driver?

When we installed Tomcat and PostgreSQL, I just copied the
postgresql.jar file into the /lib directory inside the tomcat
installation directory. I installed tomcat in /usr/local/tomcat from
memory, so that would make it /usr/local/tomcat/lib

When tomcat starts, it has a logfile directory. I'm not a java guy, but
I think the tomcat only notices that the PostgreSQL driver isn't loaded
properly when someone actually tries to use it (the PostgreSQL driver
that is). Can't remember whether it reports the error message to its
logfiles or to the application trying to use PostgreSQL though.

> - how do I know that I have all the correct permissions set in order
> to connect to the database (pg_hba.conf is set to "trust"
> "everybody" on local network.

By default, no-one on your network has permission to touch your
PostgreSQL database. If you've opened it up by specifying something
like :

host all <network IP address> <netmask> trust

then your users should be able to connect with a username of 'postgres'
from what I remember (if that's the PostgreSQL superuser on your server
that is).

> - Ultradev is running on NT and connecting via "LAN" thus is using
> SMB and not TCP/IP is this an issue?

If it's connecting via SMB, then does that means it's trying to use a
socket file? Don't know if that's gunna work (never heard of it being
tried before). Good luck.

You'd have better luck using TCP though, as we know NT can talk to
PostgreSQL with TCP. We do it every day.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi