Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Distribution

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pgsql-Ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Distribution
Date: 2001-04-06 15:57:08
Lists: pgsql-ports
Jason Tishler wrote:
> By extracting pg_config from the following:
> I have discovered that at least one PostgreSQL Distribution is
> configured as follows:
>     --enable-locale --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --with-perl
>     --enable-multibyte --with-tcl --with-odbc --enable-syslog
>     --with-python --sysconfdir=/etc/pgsql --mandir=/usr/man
>     --docdir=/usr/doc --includedir=/usr/include/pgsql
>     --datadir=/usr/share/pgsql

And I'm using 'pgsql' instead of 'postgresql' for historical reasons, as
I must fit the RPMset into an environment where the data has lived for
ages in /var/lib/pgsql, the libraries have lived forever in
/usr/lib/pgsql....  Changing to using 'postgresql' is currently not
planned. I may do so for a future version, however, if the _need_

After all, even on, the snapshots extract to the 'pgsql'
tree.  Yes, it is inconsistent.

> Should I be using the above?  Or, at least the directory affecting
> options (with possibly pgsql replaced by postgresql as you previously
> suggested)?

For your application, you can pretty much dictate where everything will
go as there really isn't a preexisting standard layout.  However, to get
the 'postgresql' part of the directory name only requires that you drop
the 'pgsql' from the above -- the 'postgresql' will be automatically

Glad you're grabbing the bull by the horns, though!
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11