Re: segmentation fault in psql

From: David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: segmentation fault in psql
Date: 2001-04-01 03:06:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> Uh, what are sfio and stdio anyway, and why would we want them?  putc is
> in plain old libc in every system I've dealt with.  If you remove both
> sfio and stdio from configure, does it work any better?

Thanks.  Removing sfio from configure.in and reconfiguring/making did the job.
I didn't try it before because I figured Postgresql may have actually been using
sfio for something.

sfio is AT&T's replacement for stdio.  It is available at
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/sfio/

The reason for using it on Solaris is because Solaris can't fopen file
descriptors above 255.  So if you have a process that has more than 255 open
files in a process any further fopens will fail mysteriously (I have forgotten
what the error message is, but it is something like EPERM or something stupid
like that).

Here is a link to the Solaris FAQ that describes this:
http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.45