Re: Untitled

From: Ian Harding <iharding(at)pakrat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Untitled
Date: 2001-03-30 05:47:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Md. Intekhab Alam" wrote:

> Has anyone tried setting up Postgres as a linked server under Microsofts SQL
> Server 7 to connect with SQL 6.5
>
> I am able to create the link correctly (see below) and see all the tables
> available in Postgres, but if I try querying anything in them I get the
> following error
>
> Server: Msg 7313, Level 16, State 1
> Invalid schema or catalog specified for provider 'MSDASQL'.
>
> how should I correct this problem. I am in very critical
> position because of this problem.
>
> please help me out ASAP i will be thankfull for that.
>
> waiting eagarly for the reply with helpful suggetion.
>
> regards,
>
> Intekhab Alam

You need to specify the table with the fully qualified format:
SERVER.DATABASE.OWNER.TABLE or whatever format the ODBC driver is expecting.
The DATABASE portion is what they refer to as CATALOG or SCHEMA. I usually end
up trying any combination I can think of until I reach the right one. I can
tell you it is expecting three dots, and it can accept blanks in between if it
can use a default. For example, in MS SQL Server, owner defaults to 'dbo' if
left blank.

The docs in MS SQL Server are not too clear on this subject. Good luck.

BTW, you will want to alias the fully qualified name in any queries since you
can't use it to specify a field. SERVER.DATABASE.OWNER.TABLE.FIELD is not
valid. It's SELECT T.FIELD FROM SERVER.DATABASE.OWNER.TABLE T WHERE...

Ian