Re: Re: [BUGS] Tests randomly failed

From: Justin Clift <jclift(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] Tests randomly failed
Date: 2001-03-27 16:07:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

My guess is that it would be possible to insert a check to see if the
installed Postmaster was started with -i, and then choose between Unix
domain sockets or TCP. BUT, whether trying to explain this in the
installation document to the novice user who is setting up PostgreSQL
for about the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time is something to think about...

???

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Tom Lane wrote:

> Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il> writes:
> > Yes, it was really just incidence -- I try again, and 15 of 15 `make
> > check' passed with TCP sockets, but only 3 of 15 passed with UNIX
> > sockets. So, final decision is `Unix sockets are not relaible on Solaris'
>
> So, shall we change pg_regress.sh to not use Unix sockets on Solaris?
>
> This would potentially cause problems for "make installcheck", if the
> postmaster was not started with -i. I suspect the socket problems are
> only seen when many clients try to connect at the same time, so the
> parallel regression tests are more prone to trouble than serial.
> Perhaps for Solaris, go to TCP only if it's parallel mode?
>
> regards, tom lane

- Indira Gandhi