Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: vs.

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: vs.
Date: 2004-03-12 03:06:17
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
On Mar 12, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:01:47PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, proposal (A) does provide such a separation: notice that the
>> projects would go under *, with the core database
>> remaining
>> at *  I am not sure if that will provoke confusion or
>> not, but I think I like it better than pgfoundry because it is clear
>> that the domains are related.  pgfoundry seems a bit, um, random.
> Agree with the last bit, but I really feel that the difference between
> and is too subtle--at least for people
> who
> don't work with either very often.

Just to speak up (as an avid lurker), I agree with Jeroen that this
distinction is quite subtle and may cause confusion. Some may even
expect the two to resolve to the same site, as a lot of popular sites
own .com/.net/.org, all resolving to the same site.

This can be read as support for *, *, or

* is short and clearly distinguished from

* is short, and clearly associated with
(of course!), but there's no clear distinction that the former gborg
projects are separate from, say, or Is this distinction important? Maybe not?

* is longer, clearly associated with, and clear that it's a distinct part of

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com