sorting on inet type?

From: "Daniel J(dot) Kressin" <dkressin(at)globalcrossing(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: sorting on inet type?
Date: 2001-03-20 17:16:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table with an inet column, which I entered in order initially,
so they came out like:

1.2.3.4
1.2.3.5
1.2.3.40
1.2.3.41

After updating, say, 1.2.3.5, it moves to the end. I understand why,
that's not the problem. Adding an 'ORDER BY host(ip)' clause causes the
ordering to be:

1.2.3.4
1.2.3.40
1.2.3.41
1.2.3.5

Is there an easy way to return to the original order, or do I need to
write a custom PL/SQL function to parse the octets and do sorting
manually? If the latter is the case, help/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks to the group for all the help you've given on my previous
questions!
--
Dan