Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material
Date: 2001-03-20 05:58:34
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
> >> Is it really necessary to maintain identical text in the test README
> >> file and in the SGML docs?  I'm sorely tempted to remove the README
> >> rather than double-editing yet again.
> > It's referenced from the INSTALL file, because people presumably won't be
> > able to read the HTML during installation.  Actually, the README was once
> > generated from the HTML version.  It can be done again, but the exact
> > process it kind of hazy.
> If you've got any hints, I could really use a clue right about now ...
> otherwise I'll have to do these LOCALE edits twice ...

Just make sure that we have a *complete* list of files which need to be
formatted from sgml to something other than HTML and postscript or pdf
and we'll get them built for the release.

Mostly depending on who is doing the work, the process seems to bounce
between using sgml->rtf->text or sgml->html->text, with each having pros
and cons.

                    - Thomas