Help on phrasee matching in WHERE (colum~*'.*ab*.')

From: Gabor Szilagyi <Gabor(dot)Szilagyi(at)nyo(dot)unep(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help on phrasee matching in WHERE (colum~*'.*ab*.')
Date: 2001-03-08 19:15:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am running PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on a Linux 2.4.0 using PHP4 (that is might
not relevant here).

What I am running into is this.

I am trying to pick out rows from the database which contains a
particular string.

I am using the following

SELECT * FROM in_table WHERE n_from ~* '.*nb*.

(Well actually a bunch of this condition is AND/OR -ed together)

My trouble is this: If I enter only a two character string as above,
it will not only matches string containing "nb" but all those which
contains the letter "n".

I tried this even with pgaccess directly !!! Same thing, is this a bug?

It is _very_ important for met to be able to match words containing
same strings including the two character variety ...

The above behaivour is just doesn't cut it..

Any suggestion would be welcomed

Gabor Szilagyi
szilagyi(at)nyo(dot)unep(dot)org