Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date: 2001-03-06 19:27:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Not only note the shm_nattch type, but also shm_segsz, and the "unused"
> fields in between. I don't know a thing about the Linux kernel sources,
> but this doesn't seem right.

Red Hat 7, right? My RedHat 7 system isn't running RH 7 right now (it's
this notebook that I'm running Win95 on right now), but see which RPM's
own the two headers. You may be in for a shock. IIRC, the first system
include is from the 2.4 kernel, and the second in the kernel source tree
is from the 2.2 kernel.

Odd, but not really broken. Should be fixed in the latest public beta
of RedHat, that actually has the 2.4 kernel. I can't really say any
more about that, however.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio