Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date: 2001-03-06 03:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, there's always the possibility of a bug leading to postmaster
> coredump.  Historically those have been pretty rare though.

I have never personally seen one, since 6.1.1.

> In any case, I'm not sure that the init script is the place to be
> solving these problems.

Well, I do kindof have the responsibility to allow the system to shut
down..... I'll have to double check -- there may be a timeout mechanism
in the RedHat init to reap off shutdown scripts -- but I haven't yet
found it.  Better to gracefully yank the plugs than have the grim reaper
yank them in the wrong order for you, in any case.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio