Re: Release in 2 weeks ...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release in 2 weeks ...
Date: 2001-02-28 03:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

> > Are there any major outstandings that ppl have on their plates,
> > that should prevent a release? I'd like to put out an RC1 by Friday this
> > week, with a full release schedualed for March 15th ... this would give
> > Thomas his two weeks for the docs freeze ...
> I'm interested to know what exactly takes two weeks with the docs and what
> could be done to speed it up.

The "official" version of the story is that it takes ~10-20 hours for me
to work through the docs to format them for hardcopy with ApplixWare,
primarily because something in the jade RTF tickles a bug in the page
formatting with Applix. (This round, I'll resort even to M$Word to avoid
that time sink, since I just don't have the time.)

The reality is that it is a two week quiet time for us to get the last
bugs out and to get the last platform-specific reports. At this moment
we have not started the "report now or risk having a broken platform"
threats that help iron out the last problems.

Scrappy has proposed that we start that period now. Were the concerns
about WAL etc enough to hold off on that, or are we counting down from
now?

- Thomas