Re: Release in 2 weeks ...

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release in 2 weeks ...
Date: 2001-02-26 19:24:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
> Are there any major outstandings that ppl have on their plates,
> that should prevent a release? I'd like to put out an RC1 by Friday this
> week, with a full release schedualed for March 15th ... this would give
> Thomas his two weeks for the docs freeze ...
>
> Basically, RC1 would say to ppl that we're ready to release, there
> will be no more core changes that will require an initdb ... feel
> comfortable using this version in production, with the only major changes
> between now and release being docs related ...
>
> Does this work? Or is there something earth-shattering that still
> has to be done?

Yep ! As of beta4, the ODBC driver is still seriously broken (the
original libpsqlodbc.so.0.26 doesn't even connect. A version patched by
Nick Gorham allows some connectivity (you can query the DB), but still
has some serious breakage (i. e. no "obvious" ways to see views from
StarOffice or MS-Access)).

And I have not yet had any opportunity to test the JDBC driver.

[ Explanation : I follow the Debian packages prepared by Oliver Elphick,
I'm not versed enough in Debian to recreate those packages myself, and I
do *not* want to break Debian dependencies by installing Postgres "The
Wrong Way (TM)". Hence, I'm stuck with beta4, a broken ODBC and no JDBC.
Unless some kind soul can send me a JD. 1.1 .jar file ...

Furthermore, I've had some serious hardware troubles (a dying IDE disk).
I wasn't even able to fulfill Tom Lane's suggestion to try to add -d2 to
my postmaster to debug the ODBC connection. I'll try to do that Real
Soon Now (TM, again), but not for now : my day-work backlog is ...
impressive. ]

These issues might seem small change to you die-hard plpgsql hackers. To
a lmot of people using Postgres for everyday office work through "nice"
interface, it's bread-and-butter, and these issues *should* be fixed
*before* release ...

[ crawling back under my rock ... ]

Emmanuel Charpentier