Re: Monitor status

From: kdebisschop(at)alert(dot)infoplease(dot)com
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Monitor status
Date: 2001-02-26 14:08:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've tried to search the site, but no usable pages turned up.
> >
> > My question is about monitoring PostgreSQL and if it turns out to be "down"
> > to notify a person to take action.
> >
> > I'm surprised that I couldn't find anything about it. Does anyone have an
> > advice ? Anything that will fit into ordinary NMS. Maybe SNMP will not fit,
> > but then some kind of "database ping", or equal.
>
> Have you looked at bigbrother?

There is also a component of netsaint (www.netsaint.org) that will
check PostgreSQL postmasters. I hope to add to that the ability to
do specific queries, (right now, it only does a login, then
disconnects). (I am the primary maintainer of the plugins that do
the actual service checks, another developer originated the overall
project and maintains the core software itself).

Netsaint, like big brother, can check a bunch of other services as
well. Nesaint has native support for notifications, and if you wish
cxan also be set upt to automatically issue restarts and so on (I
suspect Big Brother can do so also, but I do not know).

Netsaint is Free Software released under GPL.
__
Karl DeBisschop
kdebisschop(at)alert(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Learning Network Reference http://www.infoplease.com
Netsaint Plugin Developer
kdebisschop(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net