Lock Detection (was: pg_dump failing on LinuxPPC)

From: Stu Coates <stu(at)StuCoates(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql(at)StuCoates(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Lock Detection (was: pg_dump failing on LinuxPPC)
Date: 2001-02-24 08:03:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> Stu Coates <stu(at)StuCoates(dot)com> writes:
> > Anyway, I've sorted my obsolete version problem, and have discovered
> > another.  Attached is a short shell script that causes pg_dump to core
> > dump whilst trying to dump a single, quite simple, table.
>
> Fix committed --- but it just missed the boat for 7.1beta5 :-(.  Please
> try current CVS or tomorrow's snapshot, instead.

Thanks for that Tom, I'll give it a shot later.

On a slightly different matter:

I come from an Oracle background where I can lock an item of data by
performing a "SELECT FOR UPDATE" on the row.  This is also implemented
in PostgreSQL.  A quite useful feature Oracle does have is the ability
to add a "NOWAIT" clause to the end of the command which will cause an
exception if the item of data already has a lock taken out on it.
AFAIK, this is not implemented in PostgreSQL.  I did see a note that
lock timeouts are not implemented, but if "NOWAIT" is added the
application developer could implement/fudge timeouts him/herself.  Would
this be relatively easy to add?

Stu.

--
Stu Coates
Chelmsford, England U.K.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners.