Re: Turkish locale bug

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Sezai YILMAZ <sezaiy(at)ata(dot)cs(dot)hun(dot)edu(dot)tr>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Turkish locale bug
Date: 2001-02-23 17:53:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> > Anyway, your proposal is just fine since we haven't decoupled these
> > things farther back in the server. But eventually we should hope to have
> > SQL_ASCII and other character sets enforced in context.
> Now I'm confused. Are you saying that we *should* treat identifier case
> under ASCII rules only? That seems like a step backwards to me, but
> then I don't use any non-US locale myself...

(Just a follow up...)

I haven't had time to review the spec on this, but my recollection is
that the entire SQL language can be described using the SQL_ASCII
character set. I would assume that this might include unquoted
identifiers. I'd looked at much of this some time ago, but not recently
so my memory might be faultly (for, um, not the first time :/

- Thomas