Re: Re: C++ Question

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Justin Clift <aa2(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>, Lonnie_Cumberland(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: C++ Question
Date: 2001-02-22 00:58:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> The RPM's that come with the Mandrake Linux 7.2 distribution are
> DANGEROUS. Don't use them. See http://techdocs.postgresql.org
> For development I'd honestly recommend you install from the source code.

Hmm. I'm not certain why we would characterize them as DANGEROUS, since
we itemize the two known issues and then just to CYA someone added "...
and other problems." even though afaik there are none. The date/time
rounding problem is only for output, and, for example, upgrading from
the default Mandrake RPM set to the one at ftp.postgresql.org should be
sufficient to fix the problem (the database contents will be undamaged).

There are 7.0.2 RPMs with both of these particular issues fixed
available at ftp.postgresql.org. I *haven't* tried to do development
with them (at least for more than a minute or two) and I'm not certain
that there is a complete set of header files available for development.
That would be an issue for all other RPM distros too, so perhaps there
is more info on those.

btw, I have had trouble building the 7.0.3 RPM due to a really annoying
disappearing file in the postgresql perl installation process.

- Thomas