Re: Turkish locale bug

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sezai YILMAZ <sezaiy(at)ata(dot)cs(dot)hun(dot)edu(dot)tr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Turkish locale bug
Date: 2001-02-20 16:36:19
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Merhaba Sezai!

> I am starting to think that the only real solution is a special case
> for Turkish users.  Perhaps use tolower() normally but have a compile-
> time option to use a non-locale-aware method:

istm that this illustrates the tip of the locale iceberg as we think
about moving to a more "locale independent" strategy. Applying
locale-specific munging when scanning tokens prohibits a
context-sensitive interpretation of tokens, which we will need to fully
implement a reasonable set of (or reasonable interpretation of) SQL9x
character set and collation features.

Anyway, your proposal is just fine since we haven't decoupled these
things farther back in the server. But eventually we should hope to have
SQL_ASCII and other character sets enforced in context.

                      - Thomas