Re: beta5 ...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Justin Clift <aa2(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta5 ...
Date: 2001-02-20 14:43:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As a matter of curiosity, is each beta compiled and then regression
> tested against *every* one of the known "supported" platforms before
> release?

No. But the changes from beta to beta are usually done with platform
compatibility in mind, and we try to stay away from introducing
platform-specific breakage.

We *do* make a great effort to solicit regression tests on all supported
platforms between first beta and final release, with an explicit push
during the last beta cycle, just before docs freeze for the release.
This is easy for the common platforms, and we have been fortunate that
the more exotic platforms have usually had an interested supporter to
run the tests and report results.

Lack of reported regression tests for a release or two is sufficient
cause to drop a platform to the "unsupported" list. We don't remove the
platform from all lists to help remind us that the platform *could* be
supported, and once was, in case someone wants to rehabilitate its
status.

- Thomas