C/C++ interface

From: Volker Paul <vpaul(at)dohle(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: C/C++ interface
Date: 2001-02-13 12:10:27
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

Hello,

in the C interface documentation there is an example using:

res = PQexec(conn, "DECLARE mycursor CURSOR FOR select * from
pg_database");
if (!res || PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK)
{
fprintf(stderr, "DECLARE CURSOR command failed\n");
PQclear(res);
exit_nicely(conn);
}
PQclear(res);
res = PQexec(conn, "FETCH ALL in mycursor");

...etc. So the statements are:

DECLARE mycursor CURSOR FOR select * from pg_database;
FETCH ALL in mycursor;

What's the difference between this and simply doing:
select * from pg_database;

I tried this in psql, the result seemed the same.

What I'm really using, however, is the C++ interface.
Its documentation is not yet complete.
There, too, I tried a version with and without cursor.
The result seems to be the same, but returned int is always 0
for the version without cursor, so I get no information whether
the query succeeded.

Is someone maintaining the C++ interface and its documentation?

Thanks,

Volker Paul