Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

From: "Christoph Appel" <c(dot)appel(at)t-online(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98
Date: 2001-02-06 14:44:57
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi there,

>> Can other Win98/Cygin people comment on when it
>> started working on Win98?

> Unfortunately, I never ran the regression tests on Windows 9X or Me. I
> also will not have access to a 9X or Me machine for a while. Can
> someone run the regression tests on such a machine and report back to the
> list?

> Cygwin runs pretty much the same on 9X/Me as on NT/2000 except for a few
> rough edges and some perceived pokiness. I think that the services that
> PostgreSQL needs from Cygwin should be okay on 9X/Me but the regression
> test results will give us the definitive answer.

I built 7.0.3 using the KevinLo-Howto, as well as 7.1b4 out-of-the-box.
My environment is PIII 600 Mhz with 64MB RAM, Win98SE, cygwin-1.1.7,
cygipc-1.08, gcc-2.95-5.

The regression tests however yield some problems: I was able to pass
(nearly, under 7.0.3 horology failed) all tests, but not all at a time.
When running make runtest, the test always hangs somewhere. To then be
able to continue testing, I have to shutdown the server and even kill
ipc-daemon and restart both. By running only fewer tests at a time, I
nonetheless was able to eventually pass all (but horology under 7.0.3)
tests.

I already noticed
http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/2001-01/msg00066.html
but this doesn't match my observation. The test as well as the server
just hang without producing any further error messages.

The Perl package DBD-Pg-0.95 builds and passes all tests with both 7.0.3
and 7.1b4.

Bye, Chris