Re: [GENERAL] MySQL -> Postgres dump converter

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: fonin(at)ziet(dot)zhitomir(dot)ua, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] MySQL -> Postgres dump converter
Date: 2001-01-23 18:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Can some PostgreSQL people comment on this? This person wrote a
> MySQL->PostgreSQL converter too. His version is at:
> http://ziet.zhitomir.ua/~fonin/code

-- THIS VERSION IS EXTREMELY BUGSOME ! USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK !!!

Hmm. My version does not have this feature, but it could be added ;)

Seriously, I haven't looked at the differences, but there is a licensing
difference (BSD vs GPL). Someone else with experience with MySQL should
evaluate both packages.

mysql2pgsql has been used to convert SourceForge, with ~90 tables and
moderately complicated schema, but that did not include enumerated types
(done with ints at SF) and "unique" keys (done with sequences at SF)
afaicr.

> Sucks found:...

Each is a one-liner to fix in mysql2pgsql. The (nonstandard) types
mentioned weren't used in the test cases I had available. I didn't
realize that we had *any* reports of troubles or lacking features in the
existing converter, but I'll leave it up to y'all to decide if the
licensing issues and feature issues are significant.

I'm willing to provide patches to address some of the concerns, but of
course will not be able to look at the GPL'd code for hints and can only
use the information posted here to help afaik.

Comments?

- Thomas