RE: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade

From: "Robert D(dot) Nelson" <RDNELSON(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade
Date: 2001-01-18 13:12:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

> >user, but how can I make Postgres a DBA login with full privileges who
> >is NOT root? What is the method to give Postgres a new password and/or
> >discover the old one?
>
>ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD newpassword;

Since he's talking at the su level, perhaps postgres needs a new linux
password? That would be done, as root, by typing "passwd postgres", then
following the directions to change the user's password. I'm sure linuxconf
and other admin tools have this option, but for simple password changes,
I've found passwd to be the quickest :)

Rob Nelson
rdnelson(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us