Unix Scripts linking with Postgres

From: Luke Tudor - RSG <ltt(at)pml(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unix Scripts linking with Postgres
Date: 2001-01-15 16:26:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear All,

I have set-up my postgres db to require user authentication when a user
wishes to enter the db.
This works wonderfully.

I have programs written in Java, Ansi C and CGI which integrate with the
database and pass user names and
passwords to the database using the pgConnect function. However, I also
have several unix scripts which must
be able to gain access into the database in a similar manner i.e. make a
connection with no user interaction.

Is there anyway I can do this within a Unix Script?

Thanks for your Assistance.
--

Best Regards,
Luke.