FAQ Update Info

From: "Shane D(dot)" <sdawalt(at)millennium(dot)wright(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FAQ Update Info
Date: 2001-01-10 19:45:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

In FAQ_DigitalUnix, in section 1.1.1, there is discussion about
Postgres not compiling properly under GCC. (Yes, I've read the report
about GCC not working as well as CC ....)

I have found after some trial and error that the actual problem is in
the configure script. It assumes cc will be used prior to detecting (or
processing) the gcc setting. As a result, it loads the alpha_cc
template but never loads the alpha_gcc template when gcc is selected.
One can overcome this problem by issuing the following configure option:

--with-template=alpha_gcc

So for my system (DigitalUnix 4.0E), the configure command line is:

./configure --with-CC=gcc --width-CXX=c++ --with-template=alpha_gcc

Shane Dawalt

--
Shane A. Dawalt Phone: 937.775.4089
Network Engineer, CaTS/NS Email: shane(dot)dawalt(at)wright(dot)edu