Re: Macintosh client

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Macintosh client
Date: 2001-01-06 19:42:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Brett W. McCoy" wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > I seem to recall that pgaccess has an option to use an all-Tcl interface
> > layer instead of libpgtcl/libpq. That would make it all Tcl and thus
> > in theory easily portable to the Mac. Check the list archives for more
> > discussion --- I know this question has been asked before.
>
> I tried the archives, but the search engine bombed out on me. :-(
>
> I'll keep looking around.
>
> -- Brett

BTW, in my search for the state of libpq thread-awareness, I
also first tried the archives at www.postgresql.org. And
after a search of:

libpq thread safe

and a wait of 10 minutes, I finally gave up. It seems to me
that the implementation of the search engine does not shed a
very flattering light on the capabilities of PostgreSQL,
when, at PostgreSQL's own website, a simple search criteria
cannot return results within a reasonable amount of time.
PostgreSQL has a (now largely false, I believe) reputation
for being slow compared to its competition. All the
UDM-based search does is serve to reinforce this now
incorrect stereotype.

Mike Mascari