Re: PHP and PostgreSQL

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-12-27 15:15:42
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Matthew wrote:

>         I have been asked by the major PHP developer Rasmus Lerdorf to see
> if
>         the PostgreSQL/PHP interface needs any improvements.
>
>         Is the current PostgreSQL interface module in PHP adequate?  Does it
>         support all the current libpq features?
>
> The only problem we have run into (and I have heard of others having this
> problem also) is with persistent connections.  I have seen discussion on
> persistent connection problems but I'm not sure the problem was ever
> resolved.  The problem we have seen is that when using persistent
> connections the web server doesn't seen to reuse the connections or somthing
> to that effect.  The result being that we eventually use up our postgres
> limit of 48 connections and nothing can connect to postgre anymore.  It is
> possible that this is a configuration problem that we haven't sufficiently
> investigated, but I meniton it because I have heard other talk of this.
> Anyone have more information?

I have not seen this, though now that you mention it, I will be on the
lookout.

We have a load balenced system with [n] apache servers, each with a
local Postgres database that receives updates from a master.

On the local web servers, we have done a good deal of load testing. Our
apache instances are pretty persistent, i.e. we do not have a time out
or maximum number of transactions. I never see more more postgres
instances than I have apache instances. We are using pg_pConnect to
connect to the postgres system.

The behavior may differ if the database is on a different system.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com