Re: PHP and PostgreSQL

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-12-27 13:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have been asked by the major PHP developer Rasmus Lerdorf to see if
> the PostgreSQL/PHP interface needs any improvements.
>
> Is the current PostgreSQL interface module in PHP adequate?  Does it
> support all the current libpq features?
>
> If not, would someone submit some patches to the PHP folks.  They want
> us to work well with PHP.  They are basically encouraging us to improve
> it in any way we can.

In a current project, I am using Postgres, Oracle, and PHP. I think
PHP's API is very complete and usable, I can't think of anything we've
run into that was a result of PHP lacking a feature.

The only thing I'd like to see would be an Oracle construct moved to
Postgres. The idea that we can "prepare" a statement then execute it
multiple times without going through the planner more than once. This
would also require the ability to create and set arbitrary variables in
a Postgres session.

Since these are programmatic queries, only a handful of different SQL
queries are ever executed. The ability to cache the planned query tree
(is this the right terminology?) in a shared block, and simply reuse it,
in the multiple back-ends, with a new variable value, would speed up
some of the more complex queries, I guess.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com